Sunday, July 20, 2008

Badminton, anyone?


On Thursday I took a two hour lunch break while waiting for my Southwest flight back to Louisville from Kansas City. I visited The Nelson-Adkins Museum of Art - an absolutely fantastic place in the heartland of the country. I saw the special exhibits which included 30 years of printmaking and "Sparks" - almost unremarkable except for a DuChamp assemblage but especially because of a 'quilt' made of liquor caps and labels, sewn together with copper wire. Absolutely phenomenal! In the sculpture garden is this pair of shuttlecocks...probably 12 - 18 feet tall. Got your racket? I used to know a man who was a badminton champion...he should see these. I also viewed the European galleries on the second floor. Rembrandt, Monet, Van Gogh, Pissaro, Seurat, Gauguin, Cezanne, Caravaggio - and many other favorites had works housed there. In the lower level were more modern pieces by Rauschenburg, de Kooning, Warhol, Calder, Pollock, Johns, etcetera...good stuff! I saved the third floor for a later visit. I had a plane to catch!

No comments: